Smoke Alarm Safety in Prince George’s County
Without warning a fire can potentially destroy countless memories and years of work. A fire alarm can quickly alert you of a fire and could help keep your things safe from a fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, each smoke alarm should be tested once a month to make sure that they are functioning properly. It is important to keep your smoke alarms in good condition so that they can do their job. Below we will discuss smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm tips for your home, business, or residence.
- If you hear three loud beeps, the alarm has detected fire, and you should exit the building. Your next steps should be to call 9-1-1 and stay outside.
- When the smoke alarm battery is low and needs to be replaced, you will hear one chirp from your smoke alarm every 30 or 60 seconds.
- If you replace the battery and your smoke alarms continues to chirp, it is time to install a new smoke alarm.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- If you hear four loud beeps, the CO alarm has detected carbon monoxide in your property. When you hear these beeps, leave your building, call 9-1-1, and stay outside.
- The carbon monoxide alarm battery needs to be replaced when the alarm chirps once every 30 or 60 seconds.
- If the CO alarm continues chirping with a fresh battery in place, it is time to install a new smoke alarm.
Fire Safety Tips
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they are not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If you are building and remodeling your home, install residential fire sprinklers. Sprinklers can contain and may even extinguish a fire in less time than it would take the fire department to arrive.
- Make sure all stairways and hallways are adequately lit and have a walking path so everyone can evacuate safely.
Call SERVPRO of College Park/Hyattsville and SERVPRO of District Heights/Landover at 301-779-3662 or 301-577-1166 to schedule a free inspection.