Be Prepared in Case of a Fire in College Park, Hyattsville
Make sure pets are included in your family’s fire evacuation plan. Build an emergency kit for each pet in your household. SERVPRO of College Park, Hyattsville suggests a kit whose size and weight can be quickly and easily loaded into a vehicle when packing to evacuate.
- Pets may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. Keep pets away from stoves and countertops.
- Keep pets away from candles, lamps, and space heaters.
- Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace and keep it in place.
- Keep pets away from a chimney outside vents. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
- Consider battery-operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
- Some pets are chewers. Watch pets to make sure they don’t chew through electrical cords. Any problems with electrical cords should be checked out by a certified technician.
Disaster Supplies Kit
- Copies of medical insurance & Medicare cards
- Warm blankets
- Extra clothing, especially socks & undergarments
- Bottled water
- A three-day supply of nonperishable food
- Batteries for your electronic devices
- Written contact list
- A weeklong supply of prescription medications and other medical necessities
If you have a pet, remember to prepare their emergency kit as well with pet food, toys, beds and other comfort objects, and vet information. Some shelters will not or cannot allow pets. Ahead of an emergency, find out which ones will all your 4-legged friends. All shelters allow service animals.